Thursday, February 28, 2013

NAICEX 2013: Introducing the Team - Molly Solmonson


Hi friends! My name is Molly Solmonson and I am the team's solo Ocean Engineer.  After throwing my cover into the air on May 24th, I'll be headed to Little Creek, VA to serve as a Surface Warfare Officer onboard WHIDBEY ISLAND (LSD 41).  I could not be more excited!  I'm a born and raised Alaskan so I'd like to think I have a leg up on my fellow team members when it comes to preparing for the frigid temperatures awaiting us in Barrow- check back in a few days to see if we've all been completely frozen solid!  As an Ocean Engineer, my job is to design a buoy capable of collecting delicate, important meteorological data while remaining tough enough to handle the harsh arctic environment.  Ideally, we also want this buoy to be deployable via a Submarine Torpedo Tube (easier said than done). Luckily, I have an awesome team ready and willing to help me out.  MIDN 1/C Phil Reynolds and MIDN 2/C Sharon Bong (seeking warmer Spring Break destinations) are priceless members of my design team here at USNA who, with me, are working hard to turn this future buoy design into a reality.  We're only seven days away from taking the Last Frontier by storm!  Thanks for checking in, and we hope that you continue to do so.  Wish us luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment