Tuesday, March 5, 2013

NAICEX 2013: Introducing the Team - Professor Gina Henderson


Greetings all!

Prof Henderson in west of Ireland

My name is Dr. Gina Henderson and I am very excited about my imminent departure to Barrow, Alaska this coming Thursday as part of the NAICEX 2013 team.  Growing up on the east coast of Ireland, my interest in climate and weather was awakened from an early age having been exposed to the elements through outdoor pursuits including sailing, travel, and hiking. However, I am both excited and a little nervous to experience the extreme conditions in Barrow and out surveying on the ice!

I am an Assistant Professor in the Oceanography Department at the U.S. Naval Academy. Here, I teach courses in climate science and climate change, physical geography and atmospheric processes. My research to date has focused on land-atmosphere interactions using computer climate models, understanding the role of snow cover in the hydrologic and global climate system, and the influence of such elements on atmospheric circulation and climate change. Having utilized snow and ice data records for many years in my research, I am very excited to get my ‘boots on the ground’ so-to-speak, and be involved with the collection of data for a change.

Looking forward to sharing our team’s experiences with you all over the next 10 days. Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment